Thursday 28 March 2013

Graphic Narrative Evaluation

What do you think of the overall narrative assignment?
I think that the overall narrative was a very good idea. I liked how the whole project was based on water, mainly the sea. This is a good idea because it gave a wide range of poems to choose from, and all had really good imagery to help make graphic narratives.

Are you happy with the material you chose?
I chose the poem 'Island Man' because I remembered the poem from school, and knew what the poem was about. However, I nearly chose 'Blessing', again because I have studied this. To choose the poem I would do, I did two storyboards, one for each. After this, I found that I had more ideas for Island Man.
The decided to draw out my storyboard on A4 paper and then scan in to colour in Photoshop. I thought that this would work because I would be able to manipulate the drawings more than I would if I had made the whole thing using Photoshop. This is because I felt that I would struggle trying to make it all in Photoshop, however, I would get better colour using Photoshop. I then added text and backgrounds in Photoshop.
I am happy with doing this in the way I did because I feel that I got strong results.

Would you make adjustments next time?
Personally, I wouldn't have put the text in boxes in the corner. This is because I had to make the text in Illustrator after, and it was harder to make the lines meet up. For example, on Frame 2 and 3, there is the sun, and it was hard to follow it around to make it look like it flowed.
I would also go over the drawing with a dark black pen over the pencil. This is because it was hard and took a long time going over all of the black lines.

Are the techniques you used to make your solution adequate or would you use a different range of production techniques?
My narrative looks exactly how I wanted it to look. This is because I drew the frames, so it would look how I want it to look. However, I wish I was more skilled in drawing. When frames 4 and 6 were done, I felt that they didn't look complete, so I added in the background, the sky, grass and water to make it look more detailed.

What are the views of other people regarding your narrative?
I initially showed my lecturer when the first coloured designs. The designs were discussed and it was decided to add more detail, such as the shadows and a fish into frame two.
I then showed the finished designs to some members of the class. They said that they found the designs bright, colourful and well detailed.

Does the narrative work?
I think that the narrative does work. This is because it follows the poem and you can see the change between the Island and London, and it reflects his thoughts: the Island being 'beautiful' and bright,
whereas London is dark and grey and 'boring' to him, even the seagulls are different colours!
I think the writing stands out and it works on its own, as well as in the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment